Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fab Speaks

I decided to start blogging again in response to "Autistics Speaking Day"...but I didn't get the blog done on time; it was yesterday.

But let me tell you why: I had a paper to write up notes for in Honors English 3 on the links between emotion and reason and morality, especially in the film Frozen River. The movers came with my parents' furniture (and some of my old stuff, too). I packed my husband's lunch and helped get my daughter off to school. I had class, ran errands - including grocery shopping and supplies for my night class - picked up my daughter and had a nice talk with her, got ready for class, learned a lot of cool things, went home, ate dinner, and went to sleep.

At no time did anyone or anything "hold me hostage". I was not, you may note in the paragraph above, ruining my parents' lives nor making them want to kill me. I was not taken, I was not stolen, I was not locked up nor locked away. I was not being a burden to my poor, put-upon parents, nor was I, to the best of my knowledge, breaking their hearts nor disappointing them.

In the end, how it worked out turned out for me to be the best way to acknowledge Autistics Speaking Day: I lived my life.

My name is Shelly Valladolid. I have Asperger's Syndrome. My special foci are Disney (especially Walt Disney World), the World's Columbian Exhibition of 1893, and Korean actor Bae Yong Joon (though that's fading a bit). Others come and go, like computers is gone now, but they usually come back later. I've been married to a wonderful man for a month and a half, who understands me and have a 16-year-old daughter from a previous attempt at marriage. I write for websites and go to school.

I think neurotypical society is rather stupid at times and marvel at the fact that some people think it's better to be obsessed with buying shoes and reality TV than with Disney and technology. I'll never understand how it's "tragic" that a teenager would rather paint Warcraft models than get drunk and sleep around.

I also have really strong opinions. Just a warning for the easily offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment