Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Cake!

Sorry, no "real" posts til I'm finished with Finals (Wednesday).  Tonight, I bask in the afterglow of my Cake Decorating final - the stained glass cake.  I think I carried it off pretty well.  My fingers ache.

I didn't have time to finish the whole cake, so Chef Pierre said just do the front.  As you can see, I really hurried with the top two layers, doing them completely freehand.  Even with being incomplete and with all the flaws, I got a perfect score.

The top Charles Rennie Mackintosh Rose layer is Mayan Tradition chocolate (from ChocoVivo - fair trade cocoa nibs from Tabasco, MX, cane sugar, cinnamon, almonds and three types of chile), the middle Louis Comfort Tiffany "Cyclamen" layer is grapefruit, and the bottom Louis Comfort Tiffany "Pond Lilies" layer is lavender...fresh from my garden!  Under the Godiva White Chocolate liqueur-laden fondant is cream cheese icing, which matches nicely with all three. The cyclamen buds, which do look like chiles and the lotus blossoms, which Tiffany mistakenly called "pond lilies" are made from gumpaste and colored with petal dust.



After grading, I broke up the layers into three separate cakes.  I'm sure they'll find good homes tomorrow.  As for this exhausted Disney Babe, I'm going to sleep.  Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. NICE! Looks like it took forever! Those flavors sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete